Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Article of Faith 1 - Personal Commentary

Before joining the LDS church, I felt that I didn't really understand the trinity. How could it be that three Gods rolled into one being. This really didn't make any sense. I felt that it was something that you just believed, and that you didn't really need to understand how it worked... it's just the way it was, and that was that. Granted, there are many spiritual things that you need to simply believe on faith... that's how spirituality works in the first place. But I don't think that God wants us to not understand Him. He should not be confusing in any way.

One concern that I have, when in the Bible, Jesus offers prayer to His Father in heaven, is He praying to himself for blessings, even relief? If so, how is that possible?

Truly, He was offering prayer to His Heavenly Father. The knowledge which was restored that God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three seperate beings, yet one in purpose was a simple truth that had been lost, and I would even go so far as to say corrupted. I love the quote of the prophet Joseph Smith which states, "If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves... It is the first principle of the gospel to know for certainty the character of God and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another..."

"This is life eternal that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3).

I testify that our Heavenly Father, Our Savior Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three seperate beings. I know that this is true.

No comments: