Sunday, August 24, 2008

Personal & Family Scripture Study

What a blessing it is to have the Word of God in our lives. Without them, how would many of us know that there is a loving God in the universe or that He has a plan for us to return to Him and enjoy exaltaion?

Certainly, my knowledge of God truely came from Studying the scriptures. I was taught by my Youth Pastor, Eric Hammons, when I was active in the Church of God, that we needed to read from the Bible every day. It was after that time that I began to really read from them.

"We show our faith by studying, believing, and obeying God's revealed word. We diligently search the scriptures to understand the truth" (Preach My Gospel, 73).

Scripture study has been a vital part of my life and has brought me an immense amount of joy, comfort, and peace. As I have read the words of my Savior, I have heard his voice in my mind. I want you to know that I have a testimony of the importance of regular, daily, personal and family scripture study. It truely does help us to change... to choose what is good. It teaches of our Savior and draws us closer to Him and our Heavenly Father. It allows the Holy Spirit to have place within our hearts wherein He can testify of the truths of which we read from it's words. I testify of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

In John 5:39, the Lord tells us to "Search the Scriptures". It is a commandment.

Why Study the Scriputres?
Develops our faith in Christ 2 Timothy 3:15
Teaches of Christ & Salvation John 20:31
Leads us to Perfection 2 Timothy 3:16-17

The Power of the Word
Helps You to Choose Good & Do Right Jacob 6:7
Converting Power Alma 53:10
Healing Power Jacob 2:8
Brings Happiness Alma 44:5
Pulls down Pride & Contention Alma 4:19

Church Links:
True to the Faith: Scriptures
Gospel Principles: Scriptures
Family Home Evening: Reading the Scriptures

No comments: